I was born in California, but grew up in the Midwest, specifically in Ohio and Indiana. I consider myself a Midwest girl, with all of the wholesome sweetness and “girl next door” attributes that come along with that.
According to home videos, I have always loved to make up stories. There was nothing simple about a game of House, and every game involving imagination had some sort of plot, whether it was fighting off dragons or being a school teacher. My elementary school had a little book press for stories by students, and I had so many little books printed [but very poorly illustrated!] that I could fill a box at home.
I’ve always been a bookworm, and my grandma would send me more books almost every month so I would never run out. Book Fairs were like a carnival to me, and libraries my happy place. My creative writing professor in college once said, “In order to be a great writer, you must be a great reader.” That gave me hope, since I had been reading my entire life!
I got my bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, which is where I completed my first novel, and started collecting the ideas for several others! I worked for a few years after that, dabbling in writing and reading and other activities, and then I went to get my master’s degree from West Virginia University.
After spending a couple of years back in Cincinnati, I am now working and living in Minnesota, and spend every spare minute writing!
- I really am obsessed with hot chocolate. All year round, multiple times a day, different flavors, I love it all. For you in the States, Stephen’s is the absolute best. Anyone in the UK, go for Bewley’s or Galaxy! I’m always looking for more, so please share with me!
- I am a crazy Disney fan. I can quote Beauty and the Beast from beginning to end, and know all of the words to most of the classic Disney songs. No shame, none at all.
- In 2014, I lost my sense of smell due to a head injury. You can read about my adventures with that here.
- My degrees are in athletic training and I work in the field of sports medicine for my day job. Swimming is my favorite sport to work.
- Netflix is my friend. =)
- I’m REALLY hoping I’ll get adopted by Scotland, England, or Ireland one of these days. Maybe if I fangirl hard enough, they’ll give in. One can hope.